6.08.2009

So Fortunately Convenient

Recently, after a particularly grueling 45 minutes of stroller aerobics on a rainy morning, a friend and I were craving some time to catch up, a nice late-morning beverage and a snack for our sons. We considered going downtown but were strapped for time (aerobics ends around 11, naps just after lunchtime, plus travel time... you get the picture) and worried about finding parking. So, we decided to check out The Fortunate Cup Coffee Cafe at 120 West Ave, just up the road from the Saratoga YMCA branch. I was skeptical, as I usually am - I find my favorites and definitely become a "regular" most places I go, but was so pleasantly surprised!

First of all, there was tons of parking behind the building.
It is one level down from the Cafe. We left our strollers in the cars and took the stairs, but there was an elevator for customers too. I was completely surprised at the ambiance in the cafe - for a coffee shop inside an office building, I didn't expect a whole lot. But the space was extremely inviting complete with a fireplace and couches as well as tables and chairs. I was even a little envious of the folks who work in the building and get to hang out in there on their breaks! It was pretty busy at 11:15 a.m. with a mix of what seemed to be students along with professional folks. Basically, your standard coffee shop crowd. There was plenty of space, though, and we opted for a table in the back so the boys wouldn't disturb anyone working or studying (there is free internet access too). We found the highchair stash and scored 2. I headed to the counter to place our order, where I was greeted with a display case full of tempting treats. I stuck with my plan, though, and ordered a smoothie (customized, of course, which was no problem for the F.C. folks) and bacon-egg-and-cheese panini for the baby. My friend had a coffee and turkey panini. Now, I think its normally an order and wait sort of establishment where you take your own food to the table and bus your plates to the trash when you are done, but the woman who took my order kindly offered to bring the food back to us since we had the kids in tow. This was awesome because I didn't to worry about the little guy throwing a fit when I left the table again!

Our food & drinks arrived in just a few minutes and everything was fantastic. Next time I will definitely be ordering my own breakfast panini - they are served on a Belgian waffle and the couple of bites I stole from the baby were delicious! Along with custom roasted coffee and hot & iced beverages, The Fortunate Cup also serves locally made gelato, grilled breakfast & lunch panini, wraps, salads, soups and tons of baked goods - something to please every palate.
All in all, a convenient and delightful experience. Next time you are looking for a place to meet friends for a coffee or lunch - with or without the kids - check out The Fortunate Cup on West Ave!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great place to try. Thanks for the information:)

    ReplyDelete