5.07.2009

More Cheese Please!

I love the farmers market for many reasons, and try to go every week. I believe it is important to support local businesses, especially farmers. I also think it is ecologically responsible to eat both locally and seasonally. Plus, super fresh produce (as in picked hours before I buy it) just taste better! Aside from the produce, though, there are a few farmers whose products keep me coming back to the market week after week. One of those is the Argyle Cheese Farmer.



In our house there can never be enough cheese. I love it, and my husband's two favorite foods are cheese and bacon (thank goodness he also likes to run!). As a food chemist with several years experience working in the commercial food industry I have pretty discerning taste when it comes to basically all food, including cheese. The products that Marge & Dave Randles make at their farm are in, my opinion, delicious. My favorites include the cheddar cheese curds, which come plain and in several flavored varieties. Another weekly staple in our house is their yogurt. I love the Vanilla Cream and feel good feeding it to my son because it is made from all natural, hormone free whole milk. I even visited the farm last summer and got to see the cows that make the milk that makes the yogurt! Marge and Dave also whip up lots of other yogurt flavors as well as an awesome Greek yogurt - great for using in recipes or just eating. The "Schmear" is delectable. Kind of like a rich cream cheese and great for spreading on crackers or french bread, or using in a dip. I have even seen cheesecake samples at the market that were made using the plain Schmear. Yum!

This week, I was really excited to see a new product offered the Argyle Cheese Farmer - Smoothies.



There is a little bittersweet history here - last summer, Marge and I had many conversations about me going up to the farm and helping out with developing this product. As many of you moms might relate, it was just really hard for me to find the time, get a sitter and get up to Argyle. Fortunately, they didn't need me! I was proud (and my tastebuds were oh so happy!) to see they did it with out any of the "extra" ingredients you might see in a grocery store smoothie. Their smoothie has just their yogurt, fruit purees depending on the flavor, and a hint of maple syrup for that all natural sweetness. On Saturday we picked up some of the Berry flavor which Andrew polised off in his sippy cup by Sunday morning. I re-stocked with the Apple-Strawberry flavor at the Wednesday market last night and am looking forward to trying it out with lunch today.

Oh, and I almost forgot the cheese! Our favorite is the Caerphilly. Its a cheddar-type cheese. Super creamy and just a bit crumbly, with a subtly delicious hint of tanginess. They also have several other kinds of "real" cheese made from both pasteurized and raw milk.

Stop by the Argyle Cheese Farmer at the Saratoga Farmers Market (High Rock Ave, Sat 9-1 and Wed 3-6) and taste some of their yummy cheese, yogurt and smoothies - and don't forget to let them know that Saratoga Mama sent you!

1 comment:

  1. Caerphilly cheese sounds divine1 I may see if I can get up to the market this Wed afternoon. We love cheese in our house too!

    ReplyDelete