5.03.2009

A Saratoga Weekend, part two

Sunday morning in our house used to mean a mad dash to make it to church on time. Lately though, since we go to bed much earlier and are up at the crack of dawn with Andrew, things are much more relaxed. We make it to church on time and often even make it to the earliest service. I love these Sundays - when we are up and dressed, already downtown, good and relaxed and done with obligations for the day by 9 a.m. What comes next for my family? Brunch, of course! I love brunch. Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. Especially Eggs Benedict. After living in the greater NYC area for several years, I think it is safe to say I am somewhat of an Eggs Benny (as my husband refers to the dish) aficionado. Now, in Saratoga there are a few options for brunch that cover the range from greasy spoon diner to classy, upscale brunch buffets. For me all the really matters is hot coffee, hot plates and a delicious homemade hollandaise atop properly poached eggs.

After testing out all the choices at least twice in order to make a fair decision (I did call myself an aficionado!) my favorite is, hands down, Beverly's (47 Phila Street). I am not alone here - even the New York Times gives Beverly's 4 and 1/2 stars out of 5. The atmosphere is cozy with just the right amount of energy for a Sunday morning and the smells coming from the kitchen and neighboring tables are always enough to tempt me to stray from my usual order. Luckily, my husband isn't as committed to any one breakfast item so I am usually lucky enough to try whatever tasty sweet breakfast is on his plate (he loves pancakes and waffles and I always encourage him to order their granola pancakes - yummy!). Beverly's also has an extensive "specials" list which always includes some sort of pancakes, quiche, breakfast burrito, fruit place and several more. For me, its always the Eggs Benny served up with some freshly cut home fries. To top it all off, they serve up some of the best fresh squeezed orange, grapefruit and tangerine juice I have ever had in this country.

After all that indulgence, I am ready to burst so we head over to Congress Park to take a stroll and check out the ducks and all the budding flowers. On the way, we always stop at the Hathorn Spring at the northeast corner of Putnam and Spring Streets. Andrew loves to get his little fingers wet and I don't mind - although it smells a little funny, for many years folks have been coming from near and far to get a taste of the stuff to improve their health. I figure it can't hurt, plus I consider our ritual there to be Andrew's first Saratoga history lesson. If you are interested in learning more about the mineral springs in Saratoga (there are 17!), stop by the visitors center on Broadway at the northwest corner of Congress Park to pick up a brochure and information on taking a self-guided tour. Could be a great way to spend a morning with school-aged children this summer!

Sundays in town usually wrap up for us by noon – we head home to wrap up any unfinished projects from Saturday and always try to take an hour or two to relax at home. Before having kids, I never realized what a luxury that was! No matter what, Sunday night always comes too soon and I am once again counting the days until Friday and another weekend.

note: When you check out Beverly’s, leave your strollers at home or in the car if you can. They don’t allow strollers inside, though you can park them outside. In the summer months it is possible bring a stroller onto their patio.

No comments:

Post a Comment